Thursday 14 August 2008

Kafka does immigration

So, my work visa is up on the 30th. And I've not seen much outside Seoul - admittedly there isn't much in this country apart from Seoul and Samsung, but I thought it might be nice to see some of what there is. So I need a visa extension. No problem you would think - tourists get 90 days on entry here. Well you would be wrong - big problem. If you've been working, thats it, you have to go, you cant hang around and spend money in their country for a week or two. Apparently theyre terrified of people working illegally - but did someone not spot that I could have entered the country on a tourist visa and worked illegally anyway - they would have never known?

OK, well if they dont want me to see their country, i dont wanna see it, so there. I can go to China, which is cheaper and cooler. So i hatch a plot to get the ferry over there on the 30th with another teacher. Just a small matter of a visa, and its the olympics so there are lots of foreigners there so no problem right? wrong. china isn't issuing visas right now. the country is closed for the Olympics, and its gonna open too late for me. And when it does, visas issued in Seoul will need you to show the authorities your Alien Registration Card. But I am an unregistered alien, as I am here for less than 90 days. even more brilliantly, they will require you to have 6 months remaining on your ARC. which means you can only apply for a visa too early on in your contract for it to be usable by the end. at the point someone might want to apply for a visa, their ARC will be almost used up.

So, it now looks like Japan or Taiwan. Mention of Japan usually brings looks of horror from Yanks - who whisper in hushed tones 'it is as expensive as London.' Taiwan? well, i can scab free accomodation from Guest hopefully.

No comments: